New Minimalism Book Review

New Minimalism

Decluttering and Design for Sustainable, Intentional Living



DescriptionThe decluttering craze meets a passion for sustainable living and interior design in this gorgeous new book for readers of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.This book promises an opportunity for self-reflection and lasting change, by getting to the bottom of why we've accumulated too much stuff in the first place, therefore allowing us to transform our lives. Professional decluttering and design team Cary and Kyle of New Minimalism will take you through every step, from assessing your emotional relationship to your stuff to decluttering your home to then turning it into a beautifully designed space that feels clean and tidy without feeling sparse or prescriptive. And all of this without filling up a landfill--you'll find resources and strategies to donate and reuse your stuff so you don't have to feel guilty about getting rid of it!

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Excerpt from the book: WHAT IS NEW MINIMALISM?New Minimalism is a call to a mindful, intentional way of living, prioritizing relationships and experiences above material things. It’s a way of life celebrating the idea that you can’t buy your happiness.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

I'm not a hoarder, yet I still get seriously attached to things. Decluttering is a bit of a challenge for me, and although I can do it, is not completely easy for me. Yet, as a military wife, with a family of 5, constantly moving, and relocating to a new station every couple of years, I know that living a minimalist lifestyle can improve my sanity and help me make moves faster and slightly less chaotic.This book has helped so much with that. I am still decluttering here and there, I'm not done, but at least I have learned not to introduce new items to my life unless they are a necessity or something really meaningful. In concept, I already knew the benefits of a minimalistic life. But for some reason, just when I decided to focus and learn is when it truly sticks to my brain.I love the approach of the author to keep things simple, including the systems you follow. I didn't expect to find recipes for cleaning products, but it makes sense to help make things simple and have one main all-purpose cleaner, instead of a dozen of "specific" cleaners. This book provides 3 recipes for simple cleaning products, an all-purpose cleaner, a miracle scrub, and homemade wood polish. The photographs included in the book, are so simple, but they show how nice a simplistic approach to decor and storage and look. It also provides some visual guidance and inspiration which are always welcome.So much information and resources, but the most important one, in my humble opinion, is how the author keeps reminding you that the habit of maintaining a simple lifestyle is the secret to minimalism. In other words, what good would declutter be we keep collecting and collecting more items just to declutter them again once they become too much.This book will guide you in any place you are at the moment. If you need help decluttering, then start there. If you already decluttered but need a system to keep things simple and manageable, then the section on design will be where to start. With countless suggestions and guides, I'm sure something will ring your bell and provide you with help. I don't have any complaints about this book, but I wished there would be more photos available.

Find a copy of The New Minimalism HERE





Comments